Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Zucchini Fritters: Quick and Yummy Side!

Hello!  Well, I've been away for awhile with one thing or another!  This past weekend Ben and I were in Philadelphia and New Jersey to attend a wedding.  My good friend, Carol's, oldest son was married in a beautiful country setting.  I'd never been to that part of the US, so it was a fun and exciting trip, although short!
While we were in Philadelphia, we went to the open air Italian Market and that was really wonderful!  There were so many interesting groceries, produce, AND pastries-- it was crazy!  One thing I bought there was a "mix" for truffle risotto.  The rice isn't instant and takes the usual 20 minutes of stirring, so it wasn't a convenience type mix, but I guess really, I was a pushover for the instructions in Italian! :)  
Anyway, so I wanted to have something light and veggie on the side and I thought of zucchini fritters!  These little tasty bites are so easy and quick, but very good!  With the summer coming on and the anticipated overload of zucchini from the garden, I thought this recipe might be timely!  They aren't fancy at all, but I think you'll like them!

Zucchini Fritters (makes about 10)
2 medium zucchini, grated coarsely
1/2 red onion, grated coarsely
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup bread or cracker crumbs
a few grinds of pepper
olive oil 

Place the zucchini and onion in a colander and sprinkle with the salt.  Allow it to drain over a bowl for 15 minutes of so.  Squeeze or press out all the liquid and discard it.  
Put the drained veggies in a bowl and combine with the egg, crumbs, and pepper.
Heat a light film of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add small blobs of the veggie mixture to the skillet, making small fritters.
Cook a couple minutes, until they are nicely browned, then turn and cook the other side the same way.  Place the fritters on a rack if you're not serving them right away, or right onto a serving plate if you are.
You can re-heat them on the rack in a 200F oven for just 5-7 minutes.  
That's it!
ASB



No comments:

Post a Comment